I am thrilled and honored that Emily Faith Goldstein from the EF collection has agreed to answer some questions. The […]
I am thrilled and honored that Emily Faith Goldstein from the EF collection has agreed to answer some questions. The EF Collection has been a favorite of mine for the past few years. I personally own two pieces: earrings and a necklace. Obviously I would love to have more of the collection, but then again, who wouldn’t? Emily’s design aesthetic is a distinctive combination of understated glamour and simple elegance. All of the pieces in her collection, and there are many, can be worn with either a crisp white tee or a formal gown. Take a look at her press page, you’ll see many celebrities and the many different ways they wear their own EF pieces. What’s your favorite piece?
See below for interview:
1. Do you remember the first piece of jewelry you ever sold?
When I was a little girl my mom used to make tin cup necklaces and bracelets for herself and her friends. They got really popular and she then started to take orders. I used to help her make them and fill the orders so that is likely the first piece of jewelry I ever sold.
2. Where/what was the first retail to carry your line?
The first major retailer to carry my collection was Shopbop.com.
3. What did you study in college? Did it lead you towards a career in jewelry design?
I studied Art History in College. If you had asked me what I would be doing out of school, I likely would not have said jewelry design, but my studies certainly have shaped my personal aesthetic. I have a true passion for the arts and love fashion so jewelry design definitely complements these two interests of mine.
4. What do you like most about having your own business?
Working for yourself is a beautiful thing and comes with great reward. It’s exciting to have your own idea, work hard at it and see it come to fruition. With anything that is your own, there is a huge amount of responsibility and the job is not your typical 9-5. Its 24/7 and it’s a good thing I love what I do!
5. What is your favorite piece you’ve ever created and what made it so special? It’s hard to choose a favorite but one piece I have created that has become special is my diamond nameplate necklaces (now available as a bracelet too). I love that it becomes personal and it’s fun seeing my clients make a special, unique piece that they will likely pass down to their kids.
6. What is the single best piece of advice someone gave to you when you were starting out? “Everyone will tell you it’s not possible — it’s possible. There will be negativity-turn it into positivity. And, it’s ok to make mistakes, no one is perfect and sometimes, beautiful things come out of what seems like a mistake.
7. What jewelry do you wear every day? Do you switch it up or tend to wear the same pieces? I always wear my stack of zig zag rings (one in each finish), jumbo crescent necklace and multi bezel ear jacket. They go with everything, are easy to wear and always attract attention.
8. Do you wear any jewelry by another designer? I wear my Cartier Love bracelet. Other than that, I keep it all EFC ☺
9. How does it feel to know that when someone buys a piece of your jewelry, it makes them very happy? There is nothing more gratifying than making something you think is beautiful and having someone else admire it. If I can make a woman feel beautiful and happy, my job is done. That is what its all about.
10. Tell us one random talent that you have that people might find surprising. I don’t have a random talent that comes to mind, but a fun fact is that I don’t like chocolate and LOVE sour, gummy candy.
11. What do you enjoy doing when you’re not working? I enjoy exercising (I like spinning) and trying new fun restaurants with family and friends.
Thank you, Emily for sharing your thoughts with us.
Images courtesy of EF Collection